You are invited to join the GAFP Virtual Journal Club, a free benefit to all members!
Join family medicine physicians and residents in discussing recent journal articles in primary care and patient safety. Each one-hour forum will help participants stay abreast of current findings, exercise their critical thinking skills, and engage in scholarly discussions. During the session, journal articles vetted by the GAFP’s Education and Research Committee will be critically evaluated, exposing the study’s strengths and weaknesses. Presenters and participants may receive up to 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ and *1.0 AAFP Prescribed Credits for their participation in each Virtual Journal Club session. GAFP’s Virtual Journal Club to be held at 7:00 pm on Monday evenings during the months of September – December 2020.
The sessions will be moderated by Robert L. Addleton, EdD, Principal, Leadership in Practice and are free to GAFP members.
How to Submit an Abstract
Interested in presenting? The Education and Research Committee is still accepting abstract submissions. All current resident member or a faculty member from a Georgia family medicine residency program are invited and eligible to submit abstracts to present. There is no limit to the number of articles that may be submitted, however only 12 articles and presenters will be selected. Abstract submission details may be found by clicking here.
Facilitation of discussion qualifies as part of a Resident’s quarterly research activity.
How to Attend
Please use the registration links below to join the online forums. Early registration is recommended as registration is limited.
September 21, 2020 at 7:00 pm | Register
- Effect of opioid vs nonopioid medications on pain-related function in patients with chronic back pain or hip or knee osteoarthritis pain: The SPACE Randomized Clinical trial
Presented by Joseph Coppiano, M.D. (Medical College of Georgia)
- Indirect Effects of a Cognitive-Behavioral Intervention on Adolescent Weight and Insulin Resistance Through Decreasing Depression in a Randomized Controlled Trial
Presented by Natalie O. Campbell, MS, DO and John J. Desmond, MD (Floyd Family Medicine Residency Program)
October 19, 2020 at 7:00 pm | Register
- Association of Menopausal Hormone Therapy With Breast Cancer Incidence and Mortality During Long-term Follow-up of the Women’s Health Initiative Randomized Clinical Trials
Presented by Dr. Chin-Hen Chang, MD (WellStar AMC Family Medicine Residency Program)
- The Impact of Social and Clinical Complexity on Diabetes Control Measures
Presented by Nhi-Kieu Nguyen, DO (NGMC Family Medicine Residency Program)
- October 26, 2020 at 7:00 pm | Register
- November 9, 2020 at 7:00 pm | Register
- December 14, 2020 at 7:00pm | Register
For questions regarding registration or abstract submissions, please contact Felicia Kenan, GAFP Director of Education (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The Virtual Journal Club CME activity is supported by an educational grant from the American Board of Family Medicine.
*Approved for 1.0 Prescribed Credit