Georgia Academy of Family Physicians
Nominations Open for Medical Student Board Positions – 6 positions, 3 voting members, 3 alternate board members, for one year terms (December 2015 – November 2016)
Deadline is December 4, 2015
Email Voting from December 7-18, 2015
GAFP has exciting opportunities for Student members to participate in board leaderships activities in 2016 for a total of 6 positions.
Background on Positions:
There are six medical students who serve on the GAFP Board of Directors for a one-year term (2016). Of the six, 3 are voting directors and 3 are non-voting alternates. We ask that all six student officers attend as many board meetings as possible and work together to stay in touch with your peers.
How will I benefit from this involvement?
Among other things, you have the opportunity to:
- Network with family physicians from all across the State of Georgia and other Georgia medical students.
- Attend national meetings funded by the GAFP, such as the National Conference of Family Medicine Residents and Medical Students
- Participate in the discussion of issues key to health care delivery and to family medicine.
- Learn more about topics of special interest.
- Cultivate organizational and communication skills.
- Spend time with other student leaders who share common interests and concerns.
List of 2015 Medical Student Board Officers:
- Student Director: Evelyn Coile, Mercer University School of Medicine in Savannah
- Student Director: Kara Leverette, Emory University School of Medicine in Atlanta
- Student Director: Monique Merritt, Morehouse School of Medicine in Atlanta
- Student Alt. Director: Jonathan Russell Brock, Mercer University School of Medicine in Macon
- Student Alt. Director: Candace Markley, Emory University School of Medicine in Atlanta
- Student Alt. Director: Daniel Ralston, Medical College of Georgia at Georgia Regents University in Augusta
Your responsibilities include providing written/verbal reports quarterly to the Board, reporting back any needed assistance from the Family Medicine Interest Groups on your campus, and assisting in planning the agenda for the annual student meeting held in November in Atlanta in conjunction with the GAFP Annual Meeting.
New Board Attendance Policy:
Each district has a voting seat, AAFP delegates and residents both have two and the medical students have three. There is currently an alternate seat for each of these positions and representation for each position or district should occur at each Board meeting. The other can optionally attend or not attend without being charged with an unexcused absence.
If neither are in attendance (excluding the approval of an excused absence*), then they will both receive an unexcused absence for that meeting. However, if either (one) delegate is in attendance, then neither will receive an unexcused absence for that meeting.
*Excused Absences for Board Meetings
Excused absences include emergency illness/funeral of a close family member or if a Board member must miss a GAFP Board meeting due to a conflict if representing the GAFP or AAFP at another meeting. Absences and excused absences would be reflected in the minutes.
It is up to each director and alternate to contact each other to determine who will attend each Board meeting.
In addition, the Board of Directors voted in November to allow each Board member to attend one CME meeting per year for free if registered by the early bird deadline. You may choose from the Summer CME weekend or the Annual Meeting in November.
2016 Board Meetings:
Sunday, March 6, 2016 – Callaway Gardens, Pine Mountain, GA
Saturday, June 11, 2016 – Omni Hilton Head Oceanfront Resort, Hilton Head Island, SC
July 28-30, 2016 – Kansas City, MO- AAFP National Conference of Family Medicine Residents and Medical Students
The GAFP will pay two scholarships each of $599 to cover expenses for two resident and two student Board members (invitation to participate will be emailed in the spring).
Sunday, August 7, 2016 – Legacy Lake Lanier, Buford, GA
Thursday or Friday, November 10 or 11, 2016 – Atlanta
Travel stipends available subject to the following:
Comp registration to GAFP Annual Meeting AND Summer CME Weekend (Committee Conclaves have no registration fee), mileage (subject to standard IRS rate, currently $.575), and one night’s accommodation at GAFP hotel block room rate. Incidentals, including wireless, parking, or meals (other than those served during GAFP functions at no charge) are at your own expense.
If you are interested in being self-nominated – please fill out the form below and e-mail it to email@example.com no later than Friday, December 4, 2015. Thank you!
Student Board Position: Nomination Form for 2016
Which Year in School:
List any current leadership activities:
If elected, how many of the meetings can you attend?
Why are you interested in participating on the GAFP Board in 2016?