The Georgia Academy of Family Physicians (GAFP) exists to defend the specialty of family medicine and improve healthcare in Georgia as the state-wide, grassroots arm of the American Academy of Family Physicians. GAFP members join an active movement, not a roster, to improve the health and well-being of Georgians.
Benefits to being a family medicine champion, advocate and patient-centered care provider as an active member of the largest physician organizations in Georgia include:
Resident Practice Start Up Kit
The leadership of the Georgia Academy of Family Physicians is proud to offer GAFP residents a new member benefit if their intention is to remain in Georgia upon graduation and open their own practice.
We have partnered with the Southern Health Lawyers and Rich Sanders to offer the start-up legal services needed to start a new practice. GAFP members who take advantage of this benefit are asked to contribute $500 to participate in this pilot program and agree to remain a member of the GAFP/AAFP for a minimum of three years. This is a significant cost savings to you as you begin your career as an independent family physician in Georgia. We are proud to offer you this member benefit.
Continuing Medical Education (CME)
- Ongoing, state-wide CME opportunities at reduced costs
- Annual Scientific Assembly – November
- Summer CME Conference offering up to 36 CME credits with family-oriented activities – June
- Free online CME and local educational events
- Self-study, web-based and live courses for board certification preparation
See Calendar for an up-to-date listing of CME opportunities.
- Opportunity to evoke meaningful change to help your practice and patients through legislative lobbying power
- Leverage GAFP’s state Political Action Committee (PAC) endorsing candidates who support family medicine
- Updated online information on state and national legislation as well as Medicare and Medicaid
- Weekly blast faxes on important legislation during the state legislative session (January – March)
- Participation in the Annual Advocacy Day at the Capitol in Atlanta –
- Voice of Georgia family medicine with payers
Public Health Resources
- Online resources designed especially for the family physician on local public health programs
- Free subscription to Briefly Stated, a bi-monthly electronic newsletter with current and vital information regarding the GAFP and health care issues affecting family medicine practices
- Opportunity for a free classified ad in e-newsletter annually to recruit team members for your practice
- Access to website containing timely information including CME meetings, news and legislation
Members Only Services/Discounts
- Practice management and financial resources
- Discounted subscription to the Prescriber’s Letter
- Free subscription to the American Family Physician with print, online and mobile app options
- Group healthcare purchasing program access
- Participation in GAFP’s Patient-Centered Medical Home (PCMH) University
Career Preparation Tips and Resources
- Employment Trends
- Fellowship Opportunities
- State Career Link
- Leadership development for you and your clinical team
- Support to medical students with interest in family medicine
- Support of family medicine residency programs
- Business Solutions-Annual CME educational track for practice administrators and ongoing discussion with state payers
Please direct questions regarding membership and its benefits to Angela Flanigan, GAFP’s Chief Operating Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 404-321-7445.