By Kara Sinkule, Deputy Executive Director, Georgia Healthy Family Alliance
Looking for a way to be more involved with GAFP? Want to give back but aren’t sure where to start? The Georgia Healthy Family Alliance (GHFA) is seeking a GAFP member to serve on its Board of Trustees beginning in 2023.
Founded in 1987 and formerly known as the GAFP Foundation, GHFA is the philanthropic arm of GAFP. GHFA’s mission is to enhance the well-being of Georgia citizens through educational and community programs that promote healthy practices consistent with the principles of family medicine.
GHFA needs a family physician who is interested in helping it raise another $2 million for its ‘Your Giving is Great Medicine Capital Campaign – bearing in mind that GHFA has already raised $2 million for the campaign. The campaign will allow GHFA to expand its educational and community outreach efforts, which include the ‘Community Health’ and ‘Immediate Needs’ grant programs, the statewide ‘Tar Wars’ anti-tobacco and vaping program, and four local ‘Tar Wars’ strike force teams. The campaign also funds a team that improves patient health and welfare at the local level in communities across Georgia.
The new GHFA Board member will serve a four-year term (2023-2027), and they will help to guide and oversee key GHFA projects, including the:
– Community Health Grant Program, which is an AAFP nationally recognized effort that awards grants to GAFP member-affiliated projects that address health care needs in Georgia. GHFA has awarded more than $560,000 to community projects in the state since 2012.
– Immediate Needs Grant Program, which, upon member request, provides urgent needs assistance Georgia communities that are related to the COVID-19 pandemic. GHFA has provided more than $52,000 in relief funds since it started this program in 2020.
– ‘Tar Wars,’ which is a tobacco and vaping prevention program that is on track to reach more than 50,000 fourth and fifth graders in Georgia during this school year. GHFA also supports ‘Tar Wars’ Strike Force initiatives in Rome, Gainesville, Savannah, and Macon.
In addition to supporting the Capital Campaign with a financial contribution, GHFA Board members will be expected to attend three GHFA Board meetings in-person during 2023 on the following dates:
– Saturday, March 11 at the Hyatt Regency Perimeter in Atlanta
– Saturday, August 12 at the Brasstown Valley Resort in Young Harris
– Friday, November 10 at the Hotel Avalon Marriott in Alpharetta (in conjunction with GAFP’s annual CME meeting)
Thank you in advance for considering this leadership role. GAFP members who are interested in serving on GHFA’s Board of Trustees should email the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 25:
1. Your name
2. Your city
3. Your current volunteer activities
4. Whether you can attend every Board meeting and respond to staff inquiries on a timely basis throughout the year?
5. Why are you interested in participating on GHFA’s Board?
Please note “GHFA Board Applicant” in the email subject line.
Go to http://www.georgiahealthyfamilyalliance.org for additional information on GHFA.