Effective May 21, 2014, all health care professionals who perform physical examinations and issue medical certificates for CMV Drivers are required to complete accredited certification training and pass an examination.
The National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners’ program for Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) REQUIRES all medical examiners (MEs) who wish to perform physical examinations for interstate commercial motor vehicle (CMV) drivers to be trained and certified in FMCSA physical qualification standards.
Make your plans to participate in the GAFP’s DOT Medical Examiner Certification Training Course on Sunday, November 8th at the Westin Buckhead Atlanta Hotel from 8am – 2:30pm, during the Annual Meeting.
To perform DOT physical exams and maintain your Medical Examiner certification you must:
- Be licensed, certified, or registered in accordance with applicable State laws and regulations to perform physical examinations
- Register on the National Registry System and receive a unique identifier
- Complete required training
- Pass the Medical Examiner certification test
- Report results of driver exams every month via the national registry system
- Submit to periodic monitoring and audits
- Maintain certification by completing periodic training every five years and recertify by passing the ME certification exam every 10 years
NOTE: After you complete the Medical Examiner Certification Training Course and receive your certification, you will need to locate a testing center to schedule your exam. Please visit the U.S. Department of Transportation Federal Motor Safety Administration National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners at https://nationalregistry.fmcsa.dot.gov at your earliest convenience to locate your nearest testing location and to learn more. This website is a very helpful resource for other questions you may have regarding the certification process.
Click the link https://www.gafp.org/cme-event/2015-annual-scientific-assembly/ to register for the Annual Meeting and DOT Medical Examiner Certification Training